New Client Update – July 2018
We recently welcomed seven new organizations to the Hub.
Here’s a little bit about what makes each one unique, and what interesting things we’ll be working on—in addition to building sustainable revenue streams:
- Bethesda Beat: This outlet is a premier provider of local news for residents of the Bethesda, MD area. It covers everything from real estate and restaurants, to community issues and entertainment. We are pleased to add them to our growing membership of local publications as yet another test case on how best to cultivate a diverse business model for local news.
- Bklyner: This hyperlocal site is a daily, go-to source of information for anyone living in or around the neighborhoods of Brooklyn, NY. We look forward to helping them convey to readers the importance of supporting local newsrooms, even for-profit ones—especially in light of a decrease in similar outlets over the past several years. We’re also excited to gain new insights from this partnership as we conduct a broader analysis of the local news landscape in all of NYC’s boroughs.
- Chalkbeat: Committed to covering local education in a thorough and unbiased way, Chalkbeat focuses on improving schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are eager to help them tap into each community they cover and build a loyal following of members who care about quality education.
- The Hechinger Report: Through in-depth journalism, The Hechinger Report covers inequality and innovation in education. We look forward to helping them broaden their audience so the important stories they’re doing at the national level will reach beyond the existing core of education professionals—to parents and society at large.
- International Consortium of Investigative Journalists: This is a global network of more than 200 investigative journalists in 70 countries who collaborate on in-depth and often unprecedented investigations including the Panama and Paradise Papers. We’re eager to help ICIJ develop more brand awareness and build a community of supporters willing to help fund this important investigative work.
- Maynard Institute for Journalism Education: This is the nation’s oldest organization dedicated to helping the news media accurately portray all segments of society, particularly those often overlooked. Diversity is of course a huge issue in newsrooms right now, as well as among audiences. We’re excited to help Maynard Institute raise their profile in the journalism industry, establish a strong foundation of members and alumni who support their work.