Starting salary: $95K to $125K per year + signing bonus
Location: Remote (Permanent)
Reports to: VP of Technology
We create software that allows our clients to fight misinformation, keep the public informed, and hold elected leaders accountable.
The News Revenue Hub, a nonprofit that builds technology products and provides consulting to news organizations in service of the public good, is looking for an experienced frontend developer with a passion for mission-driven work to join our team. As an early hire on a growing team, you will help set direction with a set of design and coding principles that can help establish a scalable, maintainable framework for future engineers.
In this role, you will be responsible for building the ‘client-side’ of our web applications. You’ll translate our stakeholder needs into accessible and appealing interactive applications. You will create a functional, user centered, and attractive digital environment for us, ensuring a great user experience. You are a tech-savvy professional, who is curious about new digital technologies and aspires to combine usability with visual design.
If you’re interested in creating a user-friendly environment by writing code, and advancing in your career, this job is for you. There will also be opportunities to work on backend technology for those interested (Python, Django, Docker, Heroku, AWS, GCP/GKE).
- Use markup languages like HTML to create user-friendly web pages
- Maintain and improve website
- Design mobile-based features
- Collaborate with back-end developers and web designers to improve usability
- Get feedback from, and build solutions for, users and customers
- Write functional requirement documents and guides
- Create quality prototypes from user stories, sometimes without full design composites
- Help back-end developers with coding and troubleshooting
- Ensure high quality graphic standards and brand consistency
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
- Proven work experience as a Frontend Engineer
- Experience with templating languages like Django’s Jinja2, etc.
- Experience with frontend frameworks (React preferred)
- Experience with Node helpful
- Familiarity with browser testing and debugging
- In-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment)
- Understanding of layout aesthetics
- Solid understanding of Git
- Knowledge of SEO principles
- Experience with Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
- Build systems (Webpack, Gulp, Babel, etc)
- Mobile browser testing (e.g. BrowserStack)
- No: Not providing sponsorship for this job
About News Revenue Hub
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that works with news outlets to develop stronger business models and more loyal audiences. We help our clients become sustainable, allowing them to fight misinformation, keep the public informed, and hold elected leaders accountable. We provide a robust technology infrastructure specifically designed for journalism fundraising, along with customized strategies for audience and membership and donor development.
We work with over 60 news organizations and have had the opportunity to work on projects with big impact. Our approach to sustainability is holistic and we work closely with editors and audience strategists as we do with membership officers and fundraisers.
News Revenue Hub works with news organizations to implement fundraising models, automate time consuming processes, conduct experiments, adopt best practices, and more. Our mission is to help newsrooms achieve financial sustainability and take on the heavy lifting so our members can focus on what they do best: producing high quality journalism.
Benefits of working at the Hub include:
- 100% remote team with post-pandemic potential travel
- Full health benefits (medical, dental,vision).
- 401k plan with 5% match
- Home office stipend and cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible work hours with a generous vacation policy
- Life insurance
- Annual performance reviews with merit-based increases and opportunities for advancement
- Contribute to a mission-driven organization with a diverse and inclusive team of people who are passionate about helping news organizations build financial sustainability—because the public deserves access to quality journalism.
This position will remain open until December 3, 2021.
All applications should be submitted through the link in this job posting. If you’re interested in this position but aren’t sure if your background is the perfect fit, please still apply. The Hub is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.