Starting salary: $60,000-70,000 per year
Location: Remote (Permanent)
This role sits at the heart of everything we do. The Project Manager reports to the Senior Director of Member Strategy to execute multiple projects, internal and external-facing, in support of quality journalism. The PM serves as a close partner to the newsrooms we work with, often getting hands-on to help execute membership programs and campaigns, instinctively understanding organizations’ aspirations and triaging their needs. The PM takes a product management approach to their work, using a combination of technical, organizational, and creative skills — and empathy — to break complex problems into solvable pieces and help organizations achieve their goals.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Earn the trust of the newsrooms we work with and become a valued asset to their team.
- Coordinate and manage each organization’s experience with the Hub, from onboarding to launch on our tech and beyond. Coordinate, schedule and document trainings and webinars.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously; intuitively understand project priorities in the context of Hub and member organization expectations. Execute all contracted deliverables including client survey, email automations, and other projects on time.
- Work with Hub leadership to keep members motivated, inspired and focused on improving their key performance indicators (KPIs). Draft member-facing project proposals, performance reports, strategic plans, memos, presentations and other materials.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of general documentation and tool kits within the product management practice. Ensure project documents are complete, current and archived appropriately. Ensure that the executive team has easy access to the Hub’s latest accomplishments and insights.
- Keep the Hub Slack lively and build a strong sense of camaraderie among our 400+ Slack members; Help build the Slack community by promoting newsroom and Hub ideas and accomplishments.
- Have a finger on the pulse of developments taking place in the industry, including in technology, fundraising and digital organizing—inviting opinions from peers and sharing our point of view with members.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in account and/or project management.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of membership best practices in journalism and the nonprofit sector.
- Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising strategies and tactics; experience in delivering email campaigns and/or sales.
- Attention to detail; experience with project management tools and methodologies.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and resourcefulness required.
- Empathy, communication, respect and the ability to act as a member of many different teams.
- The ability to self-motivate, self-manage and work remotely.
About News Revenue Hub
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to helping news outlets develop stronger business models. We provide a robust technology infrastructure specifically designed for journalism fundraising, along with customized strategies for audience and membership and donor development.
We work with over 60 news organizations and have had the opportunity to work on projects with big impact. Our approach to sustainability is holistic and we work closely with editors and audience strategists as we do with membership officers and fundraisers.
News Revenue Hub works with news organizations to implement fundraising models, automate time consuming processes, conduct experiments, adopt best practices, and more. Our mission is to help newsrooms achieve financial sustainability and take on the heavy lifting so our members can focus on what they do best: producing high quality journalism.
About the Team
The Hub is a fully remote operation built on communication, transparency, trust and respect. This role will be shaped by the News Revenue Hub team and incorporate feedback and lessons learned from our members. Your day to day work will likely include:
- Interfacing with journalists, editors, and C-Suite executives representing our member newsrooms
- Training newsroom staff on fundraising best practices and more
- Setting up reports for member newsrooms
- Working alongside the Sr. Director of Member Strategy to come up with new strategies to help our member newsrooms grow
- We understand that you may not have direct experience in all of these areas. In fact, our team comes from a variety of backgrounds including journalism, technology, nonprofit management and the humanities sector. But we do ask that applicants have demonstrated experience working in journalism. Additionally, we value an openness to learning and collaboration.
Benefits of working at the Hub include:
- 100% remote team with post-pandemic potential travel
- Full health benefits (medical, dental vision).
- 401k plan with match
- Home office stipend and cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible work hours with a generous vacation policy
- Life insurance
All applications should be submitted through the link in this job posting. If you’re interested in this position but aren’t sure if your background is the perfect fit, please still apply. The Hub is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply. This application will remain opened until filled but we will begin reviewing applicants by January 31, 2020.