The News Revenue Hub is hiring a full-time Director of Member Strategy with a passion for mission-driven work.
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to helping news outlets develop stronger business models and financial sustainability. We provide a robust technology infrastructure specifically designed for journalism fundraising, along with customized strategies for audience and membership and donor development. The Hub is a fully remote operation built on communication, transparency, trust and respect.
Starting salary: $80,000-110,000 per year
Location: Remote (Permanent)
This critical role supervises our project managers and acts as a bridge to our technical and leadership teams.
The Director of Member Strategy works with senior leadership to help the organization understand how we can best serve our clients, and in doing so, plays a large role in helping the journalism landscape prosper.
The Director also works with the technical team to design and prioritize products that inform our clients and internal stakeholders; the Director collaborates with the business development team to design new services or identify clients for projects; and finally, the Director serves as an expert who’s willing to be bold, have opinions, and speak on behalf of the organization.
- Hire, manage, direct, and mentor our project managers — the people responsible for the success of Hub members, who are the heart of our organization.
- Understand your team’s challenges, successes, and failures and advocate for your team.
- Lead your team with strong core values and an understanding of our mission. Build their trust, confidence, and understanding of our work.
- Work with different Hub departments to address your team’s challenges, and help make their work rewarding.
- Own membership services at the Hub. Be the Hub’s resident expert on the membership and giving funnel, reader loyalty, audience development, and the full spectrum of data behind the reader journey.
- Collaborate with Hub senior leadership to hardwire our emerging audience development playbook and services.
- Help manage client cohorts and work with senior leadership to maximize audience development and reader loyalty strategies.
- Identify areas of improvement for member newsrooms, along with pathways to additional Hub support. Intervene when member newsrooms are underperforming and inspire them to take action.
- Work with the technical team to develop effective ways to track and evaluate member newsrooms’ progress; spearhead the process of building, refining, and testing tools that help advance and improve newsroom’s progress toward goals.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, oversee the product development process for client-facing and internal tools. Understand the needs of both clients, staff, and organization leadership as we seek to evaluate our clients’ performance.
- Participate in the design of products that help newsrooms understand, track, and improve key performance metrics. Help staff understand members’ performance from a variety of angles. Oversee testing and improvement of these products.
- In collaboration with Hub senior leadership, oversee development of a diagnostic tool for new and existing clients that measures their aptitude in several key areas, helping to determine and prioritize service needs.
Thought Leadership & Special Projects
- Serve as an industry thought leader; design and host webinars, virtual and in-person client facing strategy sessions; lead conference sessions; do media interviews when needed.
- Work with senior leadership on sensitive and special client projects, and serve as project manager for those projects as needed.
- Demonstrated experience working in audience development, nonprofit fundraising strategies, marketing, and/or journalism.
- 3+ years professional experience in a project management or leadership role.
- Experience with editorial content production and the ability to speak the language of editorial team members.
- Experience with nonprofit fundraising and lead generation best practices; an innate understanding of the metrics that matter.
- Proven experience working within audience development methodologies and analytics tools in a newsroom environment.
- Attention to detail; experience with project management tools and methodologies
- Experience vetting, using, implementing, and troubleshooting technical products and systems like Salesforce, Mailchimp, Basecamp, WordPress; Google Analytics, and OptinMonster.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills. Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and resourcefulness required, and confidence to ask for advice when needed
- Empathy, communication, respect, patience, and a willingness to help out, whether it’s the Hub, a member you serve, or someone else!
- The ability to self-motivate, self-manage and work remotely.
Your Day to Day Work Will Likely Include:
- Interfacing with journalists, editors, and C-Suite executives representing our member newsrooms
- Training newsroom staff on fundraising best practices and more
- Setting up reports for member newsrooms
- Working alongside project managers to come up with new strategies to help our member newsrooms grow
About the News Revenue Hub Team
News Revenue Hub works with news organizations to implement fundraising models, automate time consuming processes, conduct experiments, adopt best practices, and more. Our mission is to help newsrooms achieve financial sustainability and take on the heavy lifting so our members can focus on what they do best: producing high quality journalism.
We work with over 60 news organizations and have had the opportunity to work on projects with big impact. Our approach to sustainability is holistic and we work closely with editors and audience strategists as we do with membership officers and fundraisers.
Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds including journalism, technology, nonprofit management and the humanities sector. We value learning and collaboration. We help our employees grow to their fullest potential.
Benefits Of Working At The Hub
- 100% remote team with potential post-pandemic travel
- Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- 401k plan with employer match
- Home office stipend and cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible work hours with a generous vacation policy
- Life insurance
You might have been working in the journalism industry for years, or maybe you bring perspective from an adjacent field. You’re passionate about public service journalism and have a spirit of collaboration. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, you may be a good candidate and we encourage you to apply. Tell us how your experience and passion relate to what we are doing in 200 words or less, and include your resume when you apply.
The deadline to apply is December 4, 2020.
All applications should be submitted through the link in this job posting. The Hub is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. This application will remain open until filled but we will begin reviewing applicants by November 24, 2020.